Cake Pops: First Attempt

Saturday, April 11, 2009

A couple of weeks ago I visited The Sweet Tooth Fairy bakery, a charming place with wonderful cupcakes and cookies and Cake Bites. One bite lead to an obsession with these small wonders that has now taken me all over the web to the most delicious sites like Bakerella and Foodgawker.com.

It was only a matter of time before I attempted to make these myself, especially after viewing the adorable creations of Bakerella. But not any cake bites will do for me, oh no. My cake bites had to be as perfect as those from the bakery, which were all perfectly formed.
As from a mold.


Which I had to find, and after a few trips here and there, finally did at Funfinity, a local toy store with a few cake decorating supplies (don't ask). While there, I also bought some chocolate for the coating.








My first attempt was a couple of days ago. Last week we celebrated my mother's birthday and I got the left over strawberry layer cake with cream cheese frosting. Since I knew the basic recipe for cake bites/pops was to crumble the cake and add frosting, wouldn't mixing an already frosted cake together be the same thing?

Maybe not.

Thinking that mixing one way was as good as another, I put the cake into the bowl of the Kitchen Aid and started mixing. Within a few seconds (well, maybe minutes), the bowl was filled with what looked like sticky pink cake batter. Did mixing a cake take it back to pre-baked properties?

Undaunted, I scooped up the sticky-sweet mess and made balls that I put in the freezer. The next morning I melted some white chocolate and poured a bit in my candy mold, thinking that if I dumped the cake bite into the chocolate, it would be perfectly coated with white chocolate and be much easier than brushing the mold with chocolate.

Not quite what I had imagined, unless I had imagined bubblegum colored blobs that resemble some removed body part.

Oh, well, maybe they'll look better coated with chocolate.

I wish I had saved those first creations. I threw them away last night before I had the falling asleep epiphany that led to this blog. I will try to describe them: white truffles with large gaping crevices here and there through which pink stuff oozed.


Maybe I'll have better luck next time.

1 comments:

Karabear said...

Hahaha, they look absolutely scrumptious in a sort of lumpy dough looking way. I can't even imagine how they would taste! 21 years of eating your cooking has given me hope that you will eventually come out of this on top!

Post a Comment

 
Not Quite Domestic. Design by Pocket