Cake Pops: Chapter 2

Saturday, April 11, 2009




After the first less than successful attempt at cake bites, I started researching the matter. I scoured Bakerella and determined that the next attempt would be the cute chick cake pops with my grand-daughters.






Back to Funfinity for more chocolate, this time in yellow, and sticks.

Some words of advice for others thinking this would be a great project for kids.

1. Make sure the cake balls are made in advance and ready to be dipped before bringing in the kids.
2. Be prepared for a mess (I know, goes without saying) and allow creativity to trump whatever cute little design you had in mind.
3. If you have an aversion to double-dipping, DON'T DO THIS PROJECT. You can't watch everyone at the same time. Enough said.

On to the project.


I baked the Confetti cake flavor, and mixed it with Cream Cheese frosting, about 2/3 of the can. We made balls about 1" wide. Other than making sure not too many balls were handled for too long (get soft and gooey), this project went pretty well.








The girls had a great time dipping the little balls and not too many fell off the sticks. Once the girls figured out how to decorate with toothpicks, the fun really began.







The girls range in age from 3 to 10 and all of them stayed involved in the project until all the balls were dipped (about 2 hours). Their motivation ranged from "Can I eat one now?" (Kenzie) to "I want to put all the colors on mine." (Ember, whose motto is, If a little is good, More is better".
















We made chicks, cupcakes and balls, some on sticks and some not. Since this is a blog about less than perfection, it seems appropriate that the pictures are less than perfect too, so here are our creations in all their imperfect glory!



2 comments:

Karabear said...

These are soooo stinkin cute! I am going to show this blog to my neighbor Jenny. I think she will LOVE the idea and the pictures just sell it. It makes me miss home so much!

Urban Domestics said...

Thank you sweetheart! Wait til you see the ones that I finally mastered. And, I can't describe the flavor. They are wonderful!

Post a Comment

 
Not Quite Domestic. Design by Pocket