What's in a Name?

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I'm sometimes amazed at the things we never learn because we never ask. And, I'm as guilty of this as anyone else.  For example, I've had my name for 53 years and never thought to ask my mom how or why I was named Jeri Lynn, which is certainly not a traditional girl's name.

But last night we had a Relief Society event at which we were to relate the story of our names.  So, I called my mom and asked her.  The condensed version of the conversation follows:

Mom picked her favorite name for her first daughter when she was just a little girl and looked forward to the time when she could actually call her daughter by her chosen name.  But the year before I was born, mom's best friend, Jolene, had a daughter and used mom's pet name for her.  Mom was pretty upset about this and tried to talk Jolene out of using the name, but with no success.

So, mom and dad had to come up with another name. Mom decided on Lynn, as it was the last syllable in her own name, Carolyn.  She had a friend named Jeri, and mom loved that name and mom's brother's name is Gerald, of which Jeri is a derivative.  So, I was named for Uncle Gerald and mom, which I never knew before.

As to the stolen pet name?  Mom and dad realized once I was born that I was a Jeri Lynn and not a . . .


CINDY LOU!   

I will be forever grateful to Jolene for naming her daughter Cindy Lou, and sparing me.

Disclaimer: Sorry if I offended all you Cindy Lou's. If you know me, you understand.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Not Quite Domestic. Design by Pocket